Saturday 27 January 2007

Advice from the Dietician

"Blythe was concerned about the authenticity of her Pucci hat"


Dietician phoned me this morning. She appears to co-ordinate the before and after-care. I was pleasantly surprised that she called on a Saturday and was sitting in bed reading the paper. It was extremely useful as I was able to clarify a few points with her. My surgeon seems to have more strict post-operative rules than other surgeons. Having read other people’s experiences I felt I needed some justification and reassurance.

The post-operative eating regime is as follows:

Month 1: Clear liquids, moving onto thin liquids.
Month 2: Thickened liquids, more substantial soups and some puréed foods.
Month 3: Soft and mushy foods.

If complication-free I will be allowed my first fill. w00t!

Now, I have read about people eating, more or less, normally after just a few weeks post-op. Why the strict regime? Well, I was told this morning that it was to allow the stomach to heal itself and to avoid vomiting, potential stretching of the pouch and slippage. I was reassured to be told that if I’ve moved onto mushy food a little more quickly and without problems, then I may have the first fill by the end of month 2.

Medication in tablet form: I was advised that I should take all medication in liquid form for 12 months. 12 months? Blimey, that seems very cautious. I know that I can take the Metformin (diabetes medication + taking it for PCOS), in liquid form but I’m aware that it tastes vile. Mmmm can’t wait for that.

Vitamins: Advised to take a chewable or soluble, multi-vitamin daily. Not surprised about that, the vitamins I take are like bleedin’ horse tablets. I also take milk-thistle to detoxify my liver which only comes in the standard ‘stallion’ size. I don’t think I have a particularly toxic liver, I don’t drink alcohol very often, but I like the idea that it is being detoxified anyway. I also take cod liver oil in capsules and know that I’ll not be able to stomach taking the oil on its own. Bleurgh! Makes me want to heave just thinking about it.

Fills: I have read all sorts of hearsay about my surgeon and his fill regime. One thing I read suggested that he actually gives a small fill as part of the initial surgery, hence the strict post-op rules and lengthy fill times. Apparently he didn’t used to fill as part of the initial surgery but he has now swapped to a newer lap-band and may do so now. So will ask him on D-Day. The fills are all done under x-ray with barium. Yum. But, I am quite reassured about the x-ray part.

Exercise: Now don’t get me wrong, I am not averse to exercising, but, just lately …. well for the past 2 ½ year I guess, I have become the most lazy I have ever been in my life. I used to swim regularly – up to 10 miles a week(!), I used to do Thai Boxing twice a week, walked loads and for the 6 years I lived in London I went everywhere by bicycle. Now I even take the car to the local shop when I get the munchies. I have become the poster girl for a sedentary lifestyle. So I have taken note of the advice to start walking ASAP after the operation. The operation is on the Thursday and I am planning to take my first short and gentle walk on the following Monday if I am up to it. Apparently as the scar tissue forms around the incisions and the band itself, I can expect to feel a ‘pulling’ sensation when walking. Swimming should be put off until after the incisions are fully healed to avoid infection. Finally, weight-lifting is out for a couple of months – not all that relevant to me but thought I’d share that nugget.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiit. Only 5 days to go including today.


1 comment:

Too Fat To Fly... said...

Hi there,

I've really enjoyed reading your blog :-)

I can't wait to follow your progress after surgery.

I'm also in hoping to get WLS, though I think I shall be opting for the Gastric Bypass. I'm currently waiting to see a Psychologist as a prelude to possible surgery.

I wish you all the best!

Hugs,

Lins x