Thursday 25 January 2007

Pre-Op Assessment



"Blythe wondered whether the park-keeper would ever sweep up the bloody leaves"


7 days pre-operatively.
Starting Weight: 16 stone 3lbs
Current Weight: 15 stone 3lbs
Weight Lost: 1 stone (whey-hey)

Today I went to the hospital for the pre-op assessment. As usual I was running late - I never learn ho-hum. My appointment was 10.15 and I ended up not leaving home until gone 9.30, attempting to do an hour's journey in 45 minutes. Luckily no hold ups on the motorway and was able to utilise warp-speed mode in the car. Arrived at the hospital at 10.12. I'm saying all this simply because I got called in almost immediately and the first thing to be done was my blood pressure reading. Note to self - driving like a demented bat increases blood pressure significantly.


As blood pressure was so high I had to have an ECG to make sure my heart was working normally. Never had an ECG before so when I was asked to remove my top I did just that, only I left on bra and vest. Nope that had to come off too leaving a seriously unpleasant 'muffin top' overhang. Note to self II - don't shoehorn yourself into trousers that you can now get done up - just because they do up doesn't make them fit. ECG normal.


Height and weight next. I am officially a short-arse. The weight was better but I know if I'd had time for that elusive pre-weigh-in wee I'd have been even lighter (because, obviously, my wee is so heavy). Bloods were taken, blood sugar was measured and a final blood pressure reading just for good measure.


So it's actually happening. 1 week to go. It was all carried out with excellent efficiency but I do have one moan. It's only a small one but definitely worth noting. I asked about taking tablets following the surgery and was told that I would have to get them prescribed in liquid form. This is a pretty vital piece of information in my opinion and I was left wondering when or if I would have found this out if I hadn't have asked. Good job the forum members know their onions, otherwise I wouldn't have thought to.


On a different note altogether - I had a very vivid dream last night about buying (and eating) the biggest tub of Cookie Dough Haagen Dazs I have ever seen. Woke up in a bit of a trauma that I had sabotaged my pre-op diet and was tickled pink that it was all a dream. Doesn't take a psychologist to work that one out!


Onwards and downwards.

1 comment:

Ken said...

Still following with interest.