Saturday 10 March 2007

Walking This Bloody Weight Off


"My mates Flossie, Chomper, Wooley, Bleater and Steve"

5 Weeks and 2 Days
Weight: 13 stone 7lbs
Weight Lost: 2 stone 10lbs


Just a quick blog this morning. As you can see I have lost another 4lbs and whilst I am happy, actually ecstatic is more the word, I am acutely aware that this is actually not particularly good for my body. Why this dramatic weight loss? Well as I mentioned last time I am walking an awful lot. This week I have been for an increased 6.5 mile walk on 5 days (including today – haven’t actually been yet but will be, honest governor :) and I did a 45 minute walk in the pouring rain on Monday night.


Clearly walking is making the difference. I’m also finding that it is helping my crazy mind too. My new route takes me down a beautiful country lane. It’s about 2¼ miles each way and builds up to a big hill at the half way point. I go all the way down the lane, have a chat with the sheep in the field at the end of it, turn round and walk all the way back again. It then gives me the option of adding the smaller, ‘burby’ roads to increase the distance. But it’s amazing just what positive, thinking time it gives me. There are plenty of houses and farms / stables along the lane so I don’t feel scarily isolated, at the same time it means I don’t have to look like the freaky, walking woman like I did when I was doing numerous laps of the park.


The down side of all this walking is that it is making me hungry. Not straight away but a couple of hours later I feel genuinely hungry. I’ve been curious about how much energy the walking was using up and I have found some really good websites that have given me an idea. Working it out, and actually underestimating my weight slightly, it tells me that each of my long walks is using up around 680 calories.

http://walking.about.com/library/cal/uccalc1.htm


No wonder the weight is falling off! So I have revised my calorie intake up to 1400 -1500 from 1200 calories. I have a fear that if I lose it too quickly that my boobs will end up like long floppy spaniel ears and my tummy will look like a pub awning. I am starting my swimming at the start of April so hopefully that will firm up my upper body somewhat.


I still really have to watch my ‘danger’ times with regards to eating for the sake of eating, as opposed to eating for hunger. Sitting down in front of the telly is the main one. It is so automatic, it’s just like the moment the telly goes on a switch in my brain is pressed that sends my crazy mind the thought that I must eat. It is soooo hard to break this one. I’m trying not to eat ANYTHING at all in the lounge but I failed yesterday. It was Friday after all ;) One of the ways I’m trying to break the cycle is by just drinking, not booze though – lol, not sure that would be the best swap. The wife of one of my patients has given up smoking this week and boy did she smoke. She was on around 40 roll-ups a day and she has started knitting. I can’t knit but I used to do a lot of oil painting but I can’t really do that in front of the telly :) I’ll need to think of something though.


The final bit of news is that I had my hair done yesterday. I know it shouldn’t be such a big deal but it does signify a shift in my self-esteem. I’ve had around 5 inches off and it’s really choppy. Plus a head full of highlights, honey and a dark caramel colour. When Jack got back from work he was visibly aghast. He kept saying that I wasn’t me but my glamorous twin sister. Bless him. He even got the camera out and took some photos. He made my day.


Onwards and downwards.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello

Wow! you are doing fantastic!! Well done! I love walking too, and I'm hoping I will get out and do some now the evenings are getting longer. Although we don;t live in the country as such, its as close as you can get to being in the country but still be accessible to London! There are some lovely walks around here too.

I've been suspended from FH, but I had bookmarked your blog as it is so inspirational and I love reading your progress. i hope you don;t mind if i stay in touch,

Stella x