Sunday 22 April 2007

Be Careful What You Wish For ...

"Blythe eyed up the ice cream van with suspicion, would the solero get stuck?"





Yep… I definitely have restriction now.


Actually that’s an understatement. I have ‘nuff restriction. It has been approximately 12 days since the uberfill and I have been on sloppies (well with the odd crunchy item here and there) for 5 days and suddenly on Friday night the restriction kicked in. I thought that it was just a fluke with the oatcakes but, it has continued all weekend and, suddenly, all these foods that were going down easily a couple of days ago are becoming downright troublesome.

Here’s an example; on Friday night I had half of a veggie crisp-bake, some roast butternut squash, roast sweet potato (all dry roasted) and a tablespoon of baked beans to moisten it all up. I divide the meal into half and put half away for Saturday lunchtime. The half that’s left is a very modest half, as the amount I start with is way less than I would have eaten prior to the band. I mash it all up and it goes down without a problem.

Later that night I have the oatcake incident and become the one-woman slime show. So I think I’ll stick to fluids for 24 hours. As I’m in manic de-clutter mode, I hardly draw air all day and am happy to sup my smoothies and soup. In the evening I try the other half of the meal from Friday. I add extra beans and whiz it up in the blender. Nope, it takes me a good hour to be able to eat just half of it. I keep getting the golf-ball feeling in the chest but, no slime.

Today, for brunch (ooooh, get me, brunch :) I managed some scrambled egg and tinned tomatoes all cooked up together with a small slice of toasted granary bread. That seems to go down ok, I’m not able to manage it all and even that is slowly, slowly but, no pain or slime.

Later on I have a packet of Ryvita Minis. I have had a couple of packets this week and have had no problem with them whatsoever before. Today? I have a couple of mouthfuls and wham! Golf ball in chest and I start to slime. What is going on? It’s so bizarre that it has taken nearly a fortnight for it to kick in.

I thought to myself tonight, “woman, take no chances”. So I stick my dinner in the blender with plenty of liquid and duly produce my new invention, Dinner Soup™. Is it going down okay? Is it hell. Only managed a bit and I’ve had to stop as my chest was getting tight.

So that’ll be my restriction then. What a shocker. I’m not sure what exactly I was expecting but, it’s a completely different ballgame. I’ve hardly eaten today. No wonder we lose weight with the band ;)

Don’t get me wrong. Having restriction is the point of having the band and I’m really pleased that it is happening but, it’s a bit of a headf**k (pardon my French). I’m going to have a Solero in bit to soothe my pouch, okay, that’s a rubbish excuse isn’t it? I’m having a Solero because I want one. In my head it’ll be soothing.

On a different note, I have the most organised out-house and under-stair cupboard that I ever seen. 5 years of avoidance and piled up junk, gone. Brilliant. I’m now tackling the wardrobe and low and behold, there must have been some cosmic restriction karma going on but, not only did I try on a pair of my old jeans to find that they are way to big (YAY!) but, I also found a £20 note in the pocket (double YAY ;)

So I guess it’s my round then? That’ll be pints of hot squash for everybody, no expense spared.

Onwards and downwards.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hiya

The 1st restriction for me was a big shock and I think, being a bit of a wuss when it comes to being sick (the last time I was sick pre-op was 21st September 1991!!!) I would have thought twice about it.
No, actually I wouldn't. I've now got a bottom which doesn't block out sunlight, a better relationship with my husband and a baby due in 4 weeks.
All I can say is you are doing fantastically and reading about your journey reminds me of how far I have come too. Keep it up (and down ;)
Nicoley

Anonymous said...

Sleepy, you make me laugh so much, if ever I am fed up I read your blog!

Isn't restriction a stange thing and a shock. Four mouthfuls of yog and you are full up!

Having bad head hunger at the moment, food is my addcition!.
Be Good

Alicat2