Wednesday 4 April 2007

Splish Splash ...


"Blythe hoped her bikini bottoms wouldn't fall down when she jumped into the pool"





I did it. I promised myself that I would and I have. I have started swimming :) I know that it doesn’t sound like a big deal but I am a bugger for setting myself goals and then not meeting them. I had wanted to give myself 8 weeks to properly heal from the surgery and wanted the ‘all-clear’ from the surgeon before I embarked on this, phase 3 of ‘Operation Melondrama’. I used to swim a lot when I was in my early 20’s and, ever one not to do things by halves, I used to have sporadic bursts of exercise regimes. I would swim 2 miles a day, 5 days a week for about 10 weeks, lose a couple of stone and then start oinking, stop the swimming and put it all back on again. It is just another representation of my total ‘all or nothing’ behaviour. In my world there is only black and white. I have to really work at mentally accepting shades of grey. I’m slowly getting there but it’s a struggle - another challenge that I am working on at the moment :)


The only time I consistently swam was when I lived in the most grotty student hostel in Whitechapel, East London. The hostel was next door to the hospital’s staff swimming pool. My main motivation for going wasn’t the actual swimming, it was the showers, lol. The hostel was sooooo horrible and our showers were uni-sex. Unfortunately that meant either being spied on by the leery blokes or having to queue for an hour for the top-floor, women-only showers. At a pound a go, I refused to shower without getting my money’s worth by not swimming too. I can laugh about it now but it’s funny what we put up with when we are poor students.


Anyway, on Sunday Jack and I drove into the city and I joined the gym that is a 2 minute drive from where I work. I was determined to start swimming on Monday and I am so glad that I have taken the plunge (no pun intended :) The gym is lovely and the pool is a 20 metre one and is really clean and posh. I feel like I am at health farm when I’m there. I now get up every weekday at 5.50am, drive into the city and I am in the pool by 6.30am. Swim until 7.45am and am in work for 8.15am. It’s brilliant. Free parking and I beat the rush hour traffic. I still get to leave work early and am back home by 5pm. I am then doing a 6 mile power-walk when I get back – phew! I feel brilliant though and the upside to the regime is that I am totally knackered by 9pm and am asleep by 10pm, therefore cutting my danger time considerably in terms of eating in front of the telly.


I’m aware that this probably seems quite extreme but I hadn’t considered the benefit of naturally limiting the amount of the evening spent slobbing out in front of the goggle-box. Okay, today is only my third day but, already I am noticing that it’s been easier to not binge. I think that this may be a solution to it. I am fine when I am at work but the real danger time seems to be between 9 and 11pm. Frankly I have been far too knackered to think about scoffing. The only drawback is that it means that I am quite tired if I want to go out with friends but, generally, I am trying to see them mostly at the weekend.


In a way, I am glad that this week and next are only 4-day working weeks. It means that I am having to limit the amount I go. I know that I won’t be arsed to go at the weekend so I am safe then. I won’t be touching the gym yet though, that is far too scary a prospect. I think that I’ll wait until I am bit more fit and a lot less bulky. I’m sure people would be nice and all, but I just don’t have the self-confidence at the moment to risk it. I would be far too paranoid that they would be looking at my vast expanse of belly. At least with swimming I can wrap the towel round me and then I am in the water. It’s a fairly risk-free process :)

One week to go until the first fill :o I am still quite apprehensive. I am scared that it will be painful. I am actually more scared of having too much restriction than not enough. I watched Fat Doctor and the lady having the fill threw up immediately afterwards which didn’t exactly inspire me. Watch this space I guess…


Onwards and downwards.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I felt the same apprehension about my first fill and found it to be a very trouble free experience. I too was concerned that I'd have too much restriction and start choking on my food etc.
I'm sure you'll be fine You have a very reputable consultant.
Well done on the weight loss so far, you have done brilliantly and your dedication to exercise is an inspiration to all.

Anonymous said...

Hi
Just wanted to say 'Wow' you are really going for it with your Gym stuff and walking. I have joined a gym this week but they won't let me start until they've had a little from my nurses! Anyway pleased to hear things are going OK. Catch up with you soon.
Tractorgirl x